Breeding PhilosophyThe Bar T Bar breeding philosophy, in a nutshell: We cull the ones that don’t work.
- Inherent fertility, first and foremost: We have no tolerance for open, late-bred cows or cows that do not wean a calf.
- In harmony with the resources: Mother Nature defines our herd; only cows that can produce here stay here. We use planned-grazing practices to maximize beef production with minimal inputs.
- Simplified crossbreeding: We optimize maternal hybrid vigor by sourcing outcross Angus (British), Gelbvieh (continental), SimAngus, Brangus, and Beefmaster (heat-tolerant), and Santa Gertrudis genetics. In our own commercial herd, using Balancers® has reduced the number of herds we run, increasing range-management flexibility and reducing costs over time.
- Added value in the marketplace: We produce calves that meet the industry demand for feedlot efficiency and carcass grade and yield. Those cattle that meet grid and branded specifications are even more valuable.
It’s a matter of genetics.
Our bulls are capable of acclimating and producing in arid environments because their mothers have been selected to produce on the range through 35 years of consistent culling. We use multiple generations of calving ease and carcass quality, while improving growth and milk to the levels that are sustainable in our environment.
Crossbreeding gives us the best of both worlds — the calving ease and carcass quality of the Angus, and the meat, milk, and fertility of the Gelbvieh*. They excel in the pasture, in the feedlot, and on the rail. That’s why the Bar T Bar is the the largest producer of Dams of Merit and Dams of Distinction in the U.S.
* and the heat tolerance and longevity of the Beefmaster and Santa Gertrudis.
Highest selection of HIGH RANKING BULLS in the Country. The entire bull offering averages:
• Top 15% for Marbling and Average Daily Gain
• Top 20% for Calving Ease Direct and Birth Weight
• Top 25% for Residual Feed Intake, Feedlot Profit Index, and Efficiency Profit Index
Website Design By Ranch House Designs, Inc.